Saturday, October 2, 2010

October is Here!

Today was really fun...and hot! I am so excited that October is here. I LOVE everything fall from pumpkins to halloween to yummy food! And being a teacher, routines are finally beginning to fall into place and all that training starts to pay off. Welcome October! I've waited a long time for you!

Brendan and I headed out bright and early for the Gilcrease Orchard. This was the first weekend they were open and it was going to be really busy. This is the only orchard in town (I know, you're surprised we have any) and it's always been a pretty disappointing experience in the past. We've taken Brendan the first two years after he was born and it's always been dry, dusty, and pretty much pumpkin-less. Kind of like how an orchard in the desert would be, right? But this year was so much better!
The neat part about going to the orchard is having to actually pull the pumpkin off the vine. Although if we do this again, I think I may have to bring some gloves. Those vines were sticky and sharp!
Brendan looked around for a long time before making a decision. He has a hard time making decisions. Hmmm, sounds like someone I know ;-)


We met our friends there. Brendan and Hayes were checking out a worm from the corn stalks.
Running through the mini hay maze was fun!
Brendan finally let me take some pictures of him with his pumpkin, but he kept kissing it over and over again. Sometimes that boy has a lot of love in him ;-)
It was very hot today, that's why Brendan's cheeks are so red. It's still over 100 degrees here daily, but the end is in sight!
The orchard has lots of other things besides pumpkins. They had sweet potatoes, okra, corn, eggplant, watermelon, pears, and apples. So we went apple picking. Brendan said that was his favorite part. I thought it was pretty fun too.

When we got home we made applesauce. I had just done this with my first graders at school and it was so good! Brendan had fun stirring and helping me peel the apples. And it was yummy!
Brendan liked his applesauce so much he wouldn't even share with me! He said "Mommy you can get yours own". Thanks a lot kid ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment