Friday, May 28, 2010

My new school

I feel so fortunate to be part of the staff for Stuckey ES next year (yes, I know Stuckey is not such a great name because it can easily become Yucky Stuckey or Suckey). The school is named after Evelyn Stuckey, a former Las Vegas high school teacher. All CCSD schools are named after people from Las Vegas. I've worked at Tony Alamo ES, Glen C. Taylor ES, and now Evelyn Stuckey ES. Our staff met together on April 24th and one of the highlights of my day was touring the new building. Here's my new classroom!!! That doorway leads to the hall.
This classroom is a big deal because it is almost double the size of my current classroom AND it has windows!!! I know it must seem strange to have a classroom with no windows, but Vegas is full of them. The particular model of school that I've taught in for the past 7 years is designed with limited views outside. I have NEVER had windows. Yea, it sucks. But not anymore! Check out those beauties! And, the new lighting system automatically dims based on how much natural light is coming in from the windows. Sweet!
And here I am showing off my new room. I really need to stop buying stripes, but I have an addiction to them despite their unflattering qualities.
Here's the outside view. My school will 2-story. So, not only am I thrilled to be working with some amazing people, but this building is also amazing with tons of bells and whistles AND it's 3 whole minutes from my house! I feel like I've won the lottery!

CCSD is looking for a new building model so the four new schools being built this year are all different in design. Whichever model is the best wins! That means big bucks for the architect, especially since they keep the same model for many years. So each school is decked out with really cool features (a first grade garden, 3 computer labs, and a science lab hello!) in hopes that they win. I have no idea where the money is coming from to build these schools, but I do know that this school is one of the largest elementary schools in CCSD and size matters. Woohoo! Plus this will be Brendan's school in two more years. Awesome.
Oh, and I forgot to mention we are all 9 month next year. Next year is going to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment